Documents you will need to give us.
- Drivers Lic./DMV ID or Govt ID.
- Social Security cards for everyone on the return.
- Birth Certificates for all Children on the return.
- Health Insurance proof (Form 1095-A if your insurance premium was subsidized by Affordable Health Care).
- If you are a new client, a copy of the last taxes you filed.
- INCOME AND OTHER DOCUMENTS YOU NEED TO GIVE US.
- W-2 (From each Job you held in 2019).
- 1099-Misc (From persons/businesses who contracted your services or your union).
- 1099 -INT/DIV/OID (From your bank, credit union annuity, investment and securities local and abroad).
- 1099-B (For Stock and bonds sold in 2019).
- 1099-C or 1099-A (Cancellation of Debts from credit cards, loans and mortgage companies).
- 1099-G (Unemployment or State refund).
- 1099-R or RRB-1099-R (Retirement income like pensions, annuities, IRA, insurance companies).
- SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 (Social Security benefits).
- 1099-S (Sale of investment homes or assets).
- 1098-Mort (Mortgage interest paid to banks or others for HOMEOWNERS).
- 1098-E (Education loans Interest).
- 1098-T (Tuition payment to higher education).
- W-2G (Lotto winnings, races, casino or other gambling winnings).
- K-1 (Income from a Partnership or S-Corp)
- Alimony received or paid.
- 1099-Q (from qualified education programs)
- Unreported Tip income.
- Foreign Earned &Investment Income or rent collected, including bank interest over $10 US.
- Also inform us if you have Foreign bank or investment accounts with over $10K US total.
- Rental Income collected.
- 1099-SA (Health Savings or Medical Savings account distribution).
- Daycare expenses paid for dependent including adult parent.
- First time Homebuyers Credit Repayment.
- Solar Energy purchases/ Electric and Hybrid Vehicles purchased.
- Real Estate Taxes and Car registration, also other vehicle registration like boats, mobile homes etc..).
- Cash contributions such as Tithes or Donations (Written proof required like check or letter).
- Non-cash donation (like Goodwill and Salvation army SLIPS).
- MILEAGE – (those who use their vehicle for work without reimbursement NOT including to and from work).
- Medical Insurance premiums and ALL other medical expenses paid out of pocket.
If you have children in college, or school age children? Please pay attention.
NEW TAX PREPARER DEPENDENT DUE DILIGENCE CHECKLIST
- BIRTH CERTIFICATE OF EACH DEPENDENT (PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP)
- SOCIAL SECURITY CARD FOR TAXPAYER AND SPOUSE, ALSO FOR ALL DEPENDENTS ON THE RETURN
- PROOF CHILD LIVED WITH YOU FOR 6 MONTHS OR MORE (example: School records, Doctor’s letter on letterhead, or Government documents like NYC housing lease or budget letter, Health Insurance 1095-A/B or C
- IF NOT YOUR CHILD BUT RELATED TO YOU, DOES ANOTHER FAMILY MEMBER LIVING IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD QUALIFY TO CLAIM YOUR DEPENDENT(S) AND RELATED CREDITS IF YOU WERE NOT DOING SO? EXAMPLE: THE CHILD'S GRANDPARENT OR SIBLING?
- IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THE ABOVE QUESTION, DID THEY MAKE MORE MONEY THAN YOU?
IF YES, THEN THEY SHOULD CLAIM THE CHILD.
- IS THERE ANY PERSON ON YOUR RETURN WHO DIDN’T HAVE LEGAL IMMIGRATION STATUS IN THE UNITED STATES? EXAMPLE NOT A CITIZEN OR GREEN CARD HOLDER? OR OBTAINED STATUS IN 2019?
LET US KNOW.
- IF YES, WHAT WAS THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THAT PERSON AT THE END OF 2019? AND WHEN DID THEY OBTAIN LEGAL STATUS?
- IF YOUR DEPENDENT WAS IN COLLEGE ASK THEM FOR A 1098-T FROM THE COLLEGE WEBSITE OR FINANCIAL AID OFFICE.
- IS THE DEPENDENT DISABLED? AND IS THERE A DOCTOR’S NOTE OR SSI BENEFITS THAT PROVES THAT?
PLEASE PROVIDE IT.
- WERE YOU DENIED THE EIC BY THE IRS IN A PREVIOUS YEAR? AND IF YES, WHAT YEAR?
- Business Owners only -WHAT PROOF WILL/CAN YOU SUBMIT TO PROVE THAT YOU HAD A FUNCTIONING BUSINESS IN 2019? EXAMPLE - Business banking, or personal banking showing regular deposits and business expenses. State or professional registration. Expense receipts, 1099-Misc, Business cards and flyers printed.